Show Dog Breed Appreciation—Why the English Springer Spaniel is So PopularBy Ricardo Warren
April 19, 2021
The English Springer Spaniel was bred to spend all day hunting in the fields beside their human companion. They are easy-going animals and make great family pets. This breed is popular as a show dog due to their high trainability and good looks.
Breed Temperament and Health
English Springer Spaniels can make a great pet due to their gentle temperament. Here are a few other traits, along with a general health summary, of this elegant dog.
- Energetic dogs – need plenty of exercise
- Gentle dogs that make great companions
- Eager to please
English Springer Spaniels are generally healthy dogs that live from 12-14 years. As with any breed, there are some common problems these dogs may experience.
- Hip dysplasia – A common problem in dogs, this is an inherited condition that occurs when the thighbone doesn’t fit properly into the hipbone.
- Retinal dysplasia – A malformation of the retina
- Ear infections – Because of their long, floppy ears, Springers are more susceptible to ear infections. It’s important to try and keep them clean and dry but this is a common problem for this breed.
- Progressive Retinal Atrophy – A degeneration of the retina that usually results in blindness. Although it’s considered rare it’s still something to be aware of when dealing with Springers.
A Pleasing Show Dog
English Springer Spaniels are such great show dogs due to their good looks and their high trainability. They have a thick, shiny coat and friendly, gentle eyes that instantly draw you in.